Fordham University has announced that it will construct the Center for Jewish Studies.
The announcement was made on the heels of a $1
million gift donated to the university by Eugene Shvidler.
“This is an especially timely gift for an exceedingly
important purpose,” Fordham President Joseph McShane said. “The world
is seeing a rise in anti-Semitism unprecedented since the end of World War II.
Aside from the great scholarly value of a Center for Jewish Studies, it
provides a counterweight to bigotry, and a vehicle for ecumenical connections
among two great faiths. We thank Mr. Shvidler for his generosity not just to
Fordham, but to the intellectual community of which it is a part.”
The gift will go toward the support of Jewish studies at the
university and comes after Shvidler’s first donation of $3 million for the
establishment of the Shvidler Chair of Judaic studies, which is part of the
Department of History, in 2013.
“I commend Fordham’s vision in establishing the Center for
Jewish Studies,” Shvidler said. “In supporting the program, I hope to enrich
and deepen the understanding of the faith, history and culture of the Jewish
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Fordham University ?
Next time we write about Fordham University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million