Researchers from the University of Rhode Island, in cooperation with researchers from Yale University and the Max Planck Institute, recently announced their discovery of a gene that could lead to hybrid seeds that would significantly increase crop production.
“Controlling sex determination in plants is essential to making hybrid plants,” URI Professor of Cell and Molecular Biology Albert Kausch, who led the
URI team with Professor Emeritus John Mottinger, said. “Hybrid crop plants are healthier
and increase yields per acre. As world population increases, we’re going to
need to double our food production in the next 50 years, and hybrid plant
production is one way we can do that.”
Hybrid corn seeds have been easy to create as the male and female parts of
the plant are separated in the ear and the tassel. With other plans, it has been
more difficult and expensive to create hybrids that increase their production.
researchers were able to isolate the key gene that, when expressed, triggers
flowers to become female in maize.
“If we could separate them in wheat or rice or sorghum, then we could
increase the amount of grain we produce per acre,” Kausch said. “It took many
years of effort to figure it out, but now we can.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 344 degrees, certificates from CEM College-San Juan
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Ponce
- Graduates earn 2,191 degrees, certificates from Howard University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at IVAEM College
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de Bayamon
- Graduates earn 198 degrees from Strayer University-District of Columbia
- Cost of college went up for all students at Escuela Hotelera de San Juan
- Graduates earn 94 degrees from Caribbean University-Carolina
- Cost of college went up for all students at Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Ponce
- Cost of college went up for resident students at University of Puerto Rico-Aguadilla