The University of Arkansas (U of A) took part in the Arkansas Hands & Voices nonprofit organization on Dec. 3.
The event was organized by the U of A chapter of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association, in which undergraduate and graduate students were able to interact with children who are either deaf or hard of hearing. The event was especially helpful for students who are majoring in communication disorders, as it gave them an opportunity to interact with the auditory-impaired children through a number of activities.
For the activities, children decorated cookies, holiday ornaments and frames, in addition to playing a variety of games and making puppets. Throughout the event, the students listened to holiday tunes, and a special visit from Santa rounded out the day's activities.
Arkansas Hands & Voices provides aid to families whose children are deaf. The organization is able to help children and families through a number of communication approaches, including American Sign Language, Signed Exact English, spoken language and more.
The U of A chapter has taken part in this outreach yearly; the "Candy Cane Christmas" event was housed at the Speech and Hearing Clinic at the Epley Center for Health Professions.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: UAH joins nationwide effort to increase college access, equity, and postsecondary attainment
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Hydrology PhD student honored at AWRA conference
- RICE UNIVERSITY: 5 staff members honored with RICE MILE Award
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Miami's interior designer wins national awards
- 3 NY universities rank among schools with lowest drop in acceptance rates
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: UAH welcomes Tobias Buckell noted science fiction author, visiting Eminent Scholar
- ST. NORBERT COLLEGE: Results of Recent Business Intelligence Survey by St. Norbert College to be Revealed at New North Summit
- College acceptance rates in top-rated schools plummet between 2006 and 2018
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA to Offer State’s First MFA in Dance Program