The University of Rhode Island recently held its first Professional Development Week in November with several hundred student and alumni participants taking part in the event.
Participants were educated on the
proper ways to deliver 30-second elevator pitches that are engaging, how to
land internships and fellowships and how to balance work and personal life.
Many other topics were covered, as well.
“The feedback from students was great,” URI University
College for Academic Success Program Coordinator Shilah Belle said. “Students
often thanked the program presenters and stayed after the sessions to ask
questions and discuss various topics related to the presentation.”
The main goal of the week-long event was to help students
begin planning their careers as early as possible.
“We wanted students to understand that it is never too early
to plan for life after college,” Belle said. “From freshman to graduate
students, participants were actively engaged not only with each other, but with
the presenters as well. Presenters engaged the students and urged them to take
a hands-on approach, allowing them to practice conversation and interaction
right in the classroom. Students from every major were patient, attentive and
ready to learn.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de san Sebastian
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Bayamon Community College
- Graduates earn 284 degrees, certificates from Colegio de Cinematografa Artes y Television
- Graduates earn 542 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Carolina
- Cost of college went up for all students at Instituto de Educacion Tecnica Ocupacional La Reine-Manati
- Cost of college went up for all students at Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Guayama
- Cost of college went up for all students at Academia Serrant Inc
- Graduates earn 67 degrees from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology at Washington DC
- Graduates earn 472 degrees, certificates from Huertas College