The New England Society of Disaster Medicine recently held its third annual meeting at Brown University's Warren Alpert Medical School, which focused on humanitarian disaster assistance with discussions on disaster research and presentations from trainees.
"We’re particularly concerned about hurricanes, winter storms causing prolonged power outages, emerging infections and pandemics, active shooter incidents and terrorism," Brown Professor Dr. Selim Suner, who teaches emergency medicine, surgery and engineering at Brown and is one of the founding members of the society, said. "Unplanned information technology downtimes and cyber attacks are also emerging threats we are discussing."
The New England Society of Disaster Medicine is a collaboration between Brown University, Harvard University through Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, the University of Massachusetts Worcester and Massachusetts General Hospital.
"The U.S. spends a lot of money on disaster response recovery -- less so on preparedness," Suner said. "We need to understand the epidemiology of illness and injury during disasters in order to prepare more effectively, and we need to know what works in terms of disaster response to allocate scarce resources more efficiently ... As a group of academicians and also disaster response experts with field experience, the New England Society of Disaster Medicine has the goal of bridging the gap between academics and field response."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.