Boise State University Professor Uwe Reischl, from the university’s Department of Community and Environmental Health, recently traveled to Havana, Cuba, to take part in the Engage Cuba State Council Summit meeting.
Bringing leaders from government, business and academia together in the country’s capital city, the summit allowed American and Cuban stakeholders to identify ways in which the two countries can work together when the current Cuba trade embargo is lifted, including cooperation on goals like further technology transfer, expanded educational exchanges, increased agricultural trade and improving public health services in Cuba through telehealth technologies.
At the summit, Reischl joined the likes of U.S. Ambassador to Cuba Jeffrey DeLaurentis and Cuban officials from the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Investments and Ministry of Education.
The four-day event also included more intimate interactions, such as personal meetings with Cuban small business owners, university professors, medical school administrators and local medical services providers.
At the conclusion of the summit, those in attendance had identified ways in which both countries can benefit from an end to the trade embargo, in terms of their economies, educational systems and societal benefits.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Boise State University ?
Next time we write about Boise State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.