In a recent competition, Leverett Elementary students were awarded the first-place trophy from the Razorback STEM Big Cat Challenge, Dec. 9.
The challenge between Leverett Elementary and Washington Elementary brought out the spirit of competition in the two schools that have cats as their school mascots.
The event was organized by the University of Arkansas as a way to help give university students the chance to practice interacting with elementary students, with one university student serving as a mentor for each team of students.
Students were asked to build a wind-powered vehicle to travel in in the fantastically inspired scenario of a zombie apocalypse. This building challenge helped the students to apply their skills in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
In addition to building the vehicle, the students had to ensure it was capable of carrying a golf ball while being moved by an electric fan on a track.
The entire event was founded by the University of Arkansas Education Renewal Zone, which is a part of the College of Education and Health Professions.
Vinson Carter, assistant professor of STEM education at the college, spoke on the event's benefits.
"The event gives our students an opportunity to gain experience working with small groups on a STEM challenge," he said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million