The recent Arkansas Foreign Language Teachers Association annual conference, "From Performance to Proficiency!," was attended by University of Arkansas graduate students, as well as visiting scholars and professors.
The convention was held at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs. Two doctoral students, Qian Zhang and William Davis were presenters for the event. Zhang presented "Using Art in Foreign Language Instruction"; Davis, along with University of Arkansas graduate student Courtney Cochran, presented "United We Speak: World Language Advocacy in Arkansas."
Cochran was named Arkansas Teach of the Year recently and currently teaches at Van Buren High School.
The event was also attended by Freddie Bowles, secondary education coordinator and foreign language specialist, and Victoria Mascaliuc and Xiaoling Peng, both from overseas. Maris Buller, Alvaro Salaverry, Cristhina Torres and Kimberly Wood, M.A.T. secondary education students, were granted six hours towards their professional development of teaching foreign languages.
The group of students was also able to visit a trip to the Arkansas Capitol building and the Central High School National Museum, due to the generous support of the head of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Michael Daugherty, and the director of Education Renewal Zone, Lindsey Swagerty.
Organizations in this story
University of Arkansas 1 N University Ave Fayetteville, AR - 72701-5031
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success