On Friday, Dec. 16, the University of New Orleans (UNO) held its winter commencement ceremony, where 900 students received degrees.
Nicklow, president at the university, presided over the ceremony at the UNO
Lakefront Arena. It was Nicklow’s second commencement.
“Today’s program marks the end of long years of rigorous
academic training and the beginning of a transition to a very different chapter
in your lives,” he said. “I want you to think just for a moment about how
different you are today than when you arrived at the University of New Orleans.
You’ve grown in so many different ways in your determination to work hard and
achieve your degree. Now you understand what I mean when I say education is
The 900 students who received degrees represented 41 states
and 57 countries, with many of them taking a winding route to reach this point.
Nicklow pointed this out during his address, congratulating the students on
where they are today.
“Yes, you’ve faced obstacles along the way,” he said. “But, with the help of family and friends and supporters, you
have succeeded and you are prepared for whatever comes next. Because, in fact,
next is now.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation and Energy Transfer Partners Donate $5 Million to the University of Mary
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Clarke wins NSF CAREER grant for advanced steel research
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Retailing's Loss Was Biology's Gain
- CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY TEXAS: A seemingly perpetual student's view on grad school experience
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Team Chargernaut takes first place in NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: Parkway to Close April 27-28 for USA Triathlon
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Alumnus’ firm in forefront of private Wi-Fi, Internet in space