On Friday, Dec. 16, the University of New Orleans (UNO) held its winter commencement ceremony, where 900 students received degrees.
Nicklow, president at the university, presided over the ceremony at the UNO
Lakefront Arena. It was Nicklow’s second commencement.
“Today’s program marks the end of long years of rigorous
academic training and the beginning of a transition to a very different chapter
in your lives,” he said. “I want you to think just for a moment about how
different you are today than when you arrived at the University of New Orleans.
You’ve grown in so many different ways in your determination to work hard and
achieve your degree. Now you understand what I mean when I say education is
The 900 students who received degrees represented 41 states
and 57 countries, with many of them taking a winding route to reach this point.
Nicklow pointed this out during his address, congratulating the students on
where they are today.
“Yes, you’ve faced obstacles along the way,” he said. “But, with the help of family and friends and supporters, you
have succeeded and you are prepared for whatever comes next. Because, in fact,
next is now.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 81 percent of applicants to University of Hartford were admitted for fall 2017
- Estrella Mountain Community College enrolls 9,788 undergrads
- Mesa Community College enrolls 20,424 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Alabama State University were admitted for fall 2017
- 80 percent of applicants to Arizona State University-West were admitted for fall 2017
- Rio Salado College enrolls 17,635 undergrads
- Argosy University-Phoenix Online Division enrolls 4,534 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Eastern Oregon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 84 percent of applicants to Auburn University were admitted for fall 2017
- 67 percent of applicants to Grand Canyon University were admitted for fall 2017