Butler University recently held its winter commencement ceremony, where retired Indiana Supreme Court Justice Randall Shepard told the 138 students that they should have a sense of optimism when holding their diplomas because they are educated and in America.
The ceremony was held on Dec. 17 in
Clowes Memorial Hall.
“The value of an education earned in 2016 at universities
like Butler is more tangible than ever,” Shepard said. “Your decision and your
family’s decision to persevere in education is the best possible launching pad
for a successful career and a successful life.”
Shepard is the longest tenured chief justice in the history
of Indiana. Even though graduates are living during a time
of great change in this country, he believes there is plenty of reason to hope.
“In what other nation would you be positioned
for a brighter future?” Shepard said. “This nation has created more opportunity, more freedom, more economic security for more people from more walks of life than any society in the whole history of humankind.”
He continued by speaking about the continued support of America by investors and governments -- from Canada to Canton.
The list of graduates can be found on Butler’s website.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Butler University ?
Next time we write about Butler University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30