Cristina Muyshondt got some sage advice from her mother just in time for her graduation from the University of Tampa on Dec. 17.
Muyshondt, who delivered a brief address before her fellow graduates, said her mother “told me it was time to look inside myself and find courage; not bravery, but courage."
In a nutshell, bravery shows no fear in the face of hard times, but courage inspires by “exploring those fears and self doubts,” Muyshondt said.
Muyshondt, of El Salvador, was one of 518 students taking part in the university’s 143rd graduation ceremony. Although 48 percent of the graduates were from Florida, 41 countries were also represented.
Jeff Skowronek, associate professor of psychology and the university’s director of undergraduate research and inquiry, gave the keynote address. Skowronek received the Louise Loy Hunter Award for excellence in teaching and scholarship.
“I do believe that our institution has given you the tools you need to know how to maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses as you shape and create environments that’ll lead to the success you seek,” Skowronek said. “All I hope is that you’ll always appreciate each and every person along the way, because, no matter how you define it, you cannot and will not be successful alone.”
Accounting and management were the most common majors among the graduating class, followed by communication and human performance. Eleven MBAs were awarded, along with 116 other master’s degrees and 391 bachelor’s degrees.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Tampa ?
Next time we write about University of Tampa, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 2,376 degrees, certificates from University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Graduates earn 230 degrees, certificates from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Charlie's Guard-Detective Bureau and Academy Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Berry College
- Graduates earn 9,226 degrees, certificates from George Washington University
- Cost of college went down for all students at Atenas College
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Arkansas
- Graduates earn 125 degrees, certificates from ICPR Junior College-Mayaguez
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo