Poets from places like Zimbabwe, Egypt and Israel are descending on Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, Virginia, this week to prove that poetry and poets are "real."
The Bridgewater International Poetry Festival, which premiered four years ago, will also feature dozens of poets from about 20 U.S. states. The event is an initiative of Bridgewater English Professor Stanley Galloway, an internationally recognized poet himself.
“We want to demonstrate to students that these poets are real people, not just names in a book,” Galloway said. “If my students can realize that poets are real people, it’s not so hard for them to realize that they, too, could be poets. Also, we want students to be more globally aware, and we want to achieve that, in part, by bringing the world to Bridgewater.”
The conference will showcase performances from Congolese poet Leonard Tshitenge, "Georgia Review" editor Stephen Corey, and spoken word artist Lady Caress. All of the poets will read for 20 minutes, with a command performance on the closing day of the conference featuring 12 to 15 poets selected for works representative of the festival. The four-day event, which begins Jan. 12, will also offer workshops, informal discussions and networking sessions.
The festval is open to the public.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Bridgewater College (VA) ?
Next time we write about Bridgewater College (VA), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 98 percent of applicants to Alabama State University were admitted for fall 2017
- 80 percent of applicants to Arizona State University-West were admitted for fall 2017
- Rio Salado College enrolls 17,635 undergrads
- Argosy University-Phoenix Online Division enrolls 4,534 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Eastern Oregon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 84 percent of applicants to Auburn University were admitted for fall 2017
- 67 percent of applicants to Grand Canyon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 82 percent of applicants to George Fox University were admitted for fall 2017
- 89 percent of applicants to Willamette University were admitted for fall 2017
- Lane Community College enrolls 7,637 undergrads