Ashland University announced professor of New Testament Dr. John Byron's annual lecture last week. Dr. Byron's lecture, "Trusting in the Word of God: Is the Bible the Center of our Faith," will focus on the Bible and its role in the Christian faith as the Word of God. It will be held at 7 p.m. on Jan. 26 in the Smetzer Auditorium on the Ashland Theological Seminary (ATS) campus.
As Byron points out in his summary, the Bible has a significant
influence on Americans' lives. He will discuss the Bible, Christian faith and the
way people become focused on the book rather than on their faith in God.
“A significant majority of Americans own a Bible and
consider it to be sacred literature," Byron said in the summary. "From
the pews of the church to billboards along the highway, to the presidential
inauguration, the Bible’s influence can be observed and experienced at all
levels of society. A quick scan of any bookstore will demonstrate that, for
some people, the Bible is a book of answers. From theology to science to diets
and finances, the Bible is viewed by some to be the source of all knowledge and
understanding. Yet, if this is true, why are there so many disputes over what
the Bible means? If the Bible is said to be ‘clear’ on any number of topics,
why isn’t it always clear to those who are interpreting it?”
Byron currently serves as the interim Academic Dean as well
as Professor of New Testament at ATS. His teaching philosophy follows the ATS'
emphasis on freedom of thought and expression that are also grounded in a deep commitment
Editor: I also looked at http://seminary.ashland.edu/directory/john-byron
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Ashland University ?
Next time we write about Ashland University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Delta partners with Auburn University to propel next generation of pilots
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT Announces Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- VALENCIA COLLEGE: CEO Organization Donates $150,000 for Scholarships to Valencia College
- Graduates earn 267 degrees from EDP University of Puerto Rico Inc-San Sebastian
- Graduates earn 775 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo