Student organizations at the University of Arkansas (UA) recently began gearing up for the annual celebration of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King on Jan. 16.
Hosted by the Northwest Arkansas
Dr. Martin Luther King Council, the celebration begins with a
traditional march that is followed by a vigil featuring a variety of
speakers. The vigil is planned for noon in the Arkansas Union Verizon
The UA’s Black Student Association and
Associated Student Government have invited everyone on campus and in
the local community to attend.
The council's Dream
Keepers, composed of local youth, will offer two community service
programs in the morning.
This year’s speakers include
Lionel Davis II, director of diversity for the Associated Student
Government; Dara Gaines, president of the Black Students Association;
Kristen P. Smith, president of Purpose for Profound Pioneers
Entertainment Group; and Trey Smith, of the Dream Keepers.
Robinson, UA’s vice chancellor for student affairs, will also
speak. Robinson has earned the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Lifetime
Achievement Award from the Northwest Arkansas MLK Community
Association, the Lonnie R. Williams Bridging Excellence Award from
the Black Students Association, the Torchbearer Award from Alpha Phi
Alpha Fraternity Inc., and the Honorary Alumni Award from the Black
Alumni Society of the UA Alumni Association.
Inspirational Choral, directed by Jeffrey Murdock, also is scheduled
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY: SCSD Receives Grant from Parkinson Voice Project
- BETHANY COLLEGE: Bethany Lands 12 Teams on Naia Scholar Teams List