Joseph Lofton credits his education at Ohio's Tiffin University with helping him land an internship with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
“I grew up with sports and it was everything to me," he said. "Coming
to Tiffin and majoring in sports management gave me the opportunity for my passion
to line up with a career."
Lofton, who graduated in 2014, is working in the NFL team's marketing department, helping with game-day events and promotions, as well as with events throughout the year that help raise money for the team.
“It started with an email as an opportunity to work the
Steelers training camp,” Lofton said. “At training camp, I networked with my
current boss as a connection from coaching youth football and playing high
school football in Pittsburgh. I got an offer to work some game days, and from
there I networked my way to a marketing intern position that I currently have.”
Networking was one of the keys to landing the role, Lofton said, and he thanks the university for helping him hone his skills.
My professor Bonnie Tiell was instrumental in preparing me for success
in the sports management field," he said. "She told me to network, network and
network. By the time I got out of Tiffin, I knew I was a professional, my
resume was good, I knew how to network, I could dress for success and I
had already interview prepped."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Tiffin University (Ohio) ?
Next time we write about Tiffin University (Ohio), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30