University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz is challenging a recently filed bill that would allow campus staff to carry concealed weapons, arguing that such a move would decrease safety rather than assure it.
he agreed with Gov. Asa Hutchinson's position that the current law
allowing local boards of trustees to disallow guns on campus works
"We have serious concerns about increasing the number
of armed individuals posing a significant threat, particularly in an
active situation when officers must make immediate determinations about
who is a threat," Steinmetz said.
Steinmetz added that, while
safety is the main concern, allowing staff to carry guns could also
negatively affect recruitment and retention of students, faculty and
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Dewey University-Fajardo
- Graduates earn 453 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Barranquitas
- Cost of college went up for all students at Strayer University-Global Region
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Bennett Career Institute
- Graduates earn 853 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-San German
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de san Sebastian
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Bayamon Community College
- Graduates earn 284 degrees, certificates from Colegio de Cinematografa Artes y Television
- Graduates earn 542 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Carolina