Recent Palm Beach Atlantic University graduate Ryan Murray is setting a new standard for community service at the private, Florida-based Christian university.
Murray has spent the last five years dedicating himself to public service programs when he wasn’t busy with his work on his biblical studies degree. Each holiday season, the South Portland, Maine, native has spent more that 40 hours per week volunteering for both the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Campaign and the Christmas Angel program.
That’s on top of his year-round work in soup kitchens for the needy, as a Salvation Army driver, and as a summer camp counselor. The honor student has been active in other church-based volunteer programs as well, such as teaching Sunday School to Palm Beach children.
Murray was honored as the outstanding graduate from Palm Beach Atlantic University’s School of Ministry, a title he was given at his graduation ceremony.
West Palm Beach Atlantic University hasn’t seen the last of Murray, though. Murray said he prayed about it and is now starting work on his master's degree in divinity, which is the next step in his plan to earn a Ph.D in New Testament studies.
He said his professors encouraged him to continue his education. The goal, he said, is to make public service and outreach his ministry for the Christian god.
“One of my passions is helping others discover God's sacramental presence among the poor and marginalized,” Murray said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Palm Beach Atlantic University ?
Next time we write about Palm Beach Atlantic University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Jackson College enrolls 4,798 undergrads
- Kellogg Community College enrolls 4,814 undergrads
- Washtenaw Community College enrolls 12,335 undergrads
- Mott Community College enrolls 7,689 undergrads
- Wayne County Community College District enrolls 14,806 undergrads
- Cost of college went up for all students at National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts
- 64 percent of applicants to University of Michigan-Dearborn were admitted for fall 2017
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Baker College enrolls 11,603 undergrads
- St Clair County Community College enrolls 3,601 undergrads