Researchers from the University of Manchester in the U.K. have published the world’s first set of clinical guidelines for chronic fungal lung infections.
The guidelines provide the most up-to-date description of chronic fungal lung infections and also provide a comprehensive outline of treatment recommendations. Those recommendations are geared toward doctors and lab technicians who deal with chronic fungal lung infections.
University of Manchester Professor David Denning led the team that produced the guidelines, which were published in the European Respiratory Journal by the European Respiratory Society and the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
The guidelines are particularly focused on chronic pulmonary aspergillosis (CPA), a fungal infection that can occur in people whose lungs are already damaged from other conditions such as tuberculosis. CPA often goes undetected until the late stages, and causes death in 80 percent of people who develop the fungal infection over the course of around five years.
Despite that danger, CPA is an underreported and undertreated condition around the world – a trend Denning and his team are trying to reverse.
“The U.K. National Health Service recognized the challenges posed by these patients by setting up the National Aspergillosis Centre and its associated laboratory, the Mycology Reference Centre in 2009,” Denning said. “The experience gained from seeing hundreds of patients has contributed to the quality of care, although much more research and new oral antifungal drugs are both required to reduce the marked disability caused by CPA.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Manchester ?
Next time we write about University of Manchester, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- March Madness money: How do women's teams in the tournament rank?
- Beauty schools report highest default rates on student loans
- Analysis: College men's basketball grosses $2 billion
- March Madness money: How do tournament teams rank?
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Axelrod, Rove to host Presidential Elections Program conference at Rice U.’s Baker Institute March 28
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Artwork by Cameron University Student Kathryn Carroll to be Exhibited in CU Sciences Complex
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mines joins growing network for entrepreneurial engineering
- IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY: Software aims to reduce food waste by helping those in need
- SIMMONS CANCER INSTITUTE: Women's Power Lunch Against Cancer
- MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY: Atomic Zoom: Michigan Tech's Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope