Florida State University Graduate School Dean Nancy Marcus has been elected to chair the Council of Graduate Schools Board of Directors for 2016.
More than 500 graduate-level educational institutions make up the Council of Graduate Schools across the United States and Canada. The Washington, D.C.-based council aims to instill best practices and research/educational standards for graduate programs across North America. It also acts as a lobbying platform to influence higher education legislation. The council is governed by a 12-member board of directors, which Marcus is set to lead.
Marcus, who earned her Ph.D. at Yale University, has spent a decade gathering experience for the role as dean of Florida State University’s graduate school, where she oversees programs for more than 8,000 graduate-level scholars. There, Marcus has spearheaded a number of initiatives including a Preparing Future Faculty program and professional development workshops.
“I am honored to serve in this new capacity with the Council of Graduate Schools,” Marcus said. “Ensuring that graduate education remains affordable to a diverse population of students, preparing students for a wide range of career options, and identifying the career pathways of Ph.D. students are just some of the many challenges that need to be addressed by graduate deans and institutions. I am eager to work with the council to tackle these issues and articulate the importance of graduate education to the nation and the global community.”
Organizations in this story
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success