University of Arkansas staff were evacuated from a section of the campus for two hours Wednesday after a chemical spill was discovered in the Agriculture Building.
The spill happened around 10 a.m. when shelves inside a chemical storage room collapsed. Several chemical-filled glass bottles fell from the cabinet, breaking on the floor below. One University of Arkansas researcher was nearby when the spill happened, but was unharmed.
Campus police evacuated university staff from both the Agriculture Building and the adjacent Plant Sciences Building. Classes weren’t in session, so no students were in danger.
Hazardous material personnel from the Fayetteville Fire Department were quickly on hand to investigate alongside chemistry and biochemistry professor Bill Durham. Together, they determined the chemicals weren’t dangerous, but should be cleaned up as quickly as possible to avoid any dangerous chemical reactions.
The buildings were reopened by noon with fans turned on to ensure there were no toxic fumes in the air. The chemicals were cleaned up and placed in hazmat containers to be moved to storage. and moved to a hazmat storage area.
The University of Arkansas’ RazALERT emergency message system was active throughout, informing faculty and staff of the evacuation and when they were allowed to return.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.