University of Arkansas staff were evacuated from a section of the campus for two hours Wednesday after a chemical spill was discovered in the Agriculture Building.
The spill happened around 10 a.m. when shelves inside a chemical storage room collapsed. Several chemical-filled glass bottles fell from the cabinet, breaking on the floor below. One University of Arkansas researcher was nearby when the spill happened, but was unharmed.
Campus police evacuated university staff from both the Agriculture Building and the adjacent Plant Sciences Building. Classes weren’t in session, so no students were in danger.
Hazardous material personnel from the Fayetteville Fire Department were quickly on hand to investigate alongside chemistry and biochemistry professor Bill Durham. Together, they determined the chemicals weren’t dangerous, but should be cleaned up as quickly as possible to avoid any dangerous chemical reactions.
The buildings were reopened by noon with fans turned on to ensure there were no toxic fumes in the air. The chemicals were cleaned up and placed in hazmat containers to be moved to storage. and moved to a hazmat storage area.
The University of Arkansas’ RazALERT emergency message system was active throughout, informing faculty and staff of the evacuation and when they were allowed to return.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director