Reinhardt University's Board of Trustees approved adding men's wrestling and men's and women's bowling to the sports programs offered by the university, effective as early as the 2016-17 academic year.
"Obviously, there's a lot that has to be done in order for us to be ready to go by the upcoming year," Athletics Director Bill Popp said. "We will be looking to hire coaches for the sports and have them in place by the end of February. There has to be a lot done in order for us to improve our facilities to house a wrestling team of 30 members. And if everything falls into place, we can start these sports in 2016-17, but if we need to take another year to make sure we're completely ready for success, we will launch in 2017-18."
The Waleska, Georgia, school offers 22 athletic and sports opportunities, including the three new additions.
"As new president at Reinhardt, I'm extremely grateful for leadership that has provided the vision, and understands the value, that successful competitive athletic teams bring to our university and to our community," Kina Mallard said. "I'm excited about cheering on our Eagles wrestling and bowling teams."
Organizations in this story
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success