Southeastern Louisiana University received more accolades, this time being named to Louisiana's inaugural list of the Governor’s Military- and Veteran-Friendly Campuses.
The inaugural list designates colleges and universities that go above and beyond in order to provide support and a welcoming environment to students currently in the military or having a veteran status.
SLU is known for its constant attention and assistance to military personnel and veterans. It has been recognized four times in the last few years for welcoming current and former members of the military.
To receive the designation, an institution must have academic and student support services, as well as admission policies that are tailored to members of the armed forces.
The university has received acknowledgement from other resources, as well, including being tagged as a national Military Friendly Campus by Victory Media and G.I. Jobs Media. These lists are meant to assist military personnel in finding the right campus for their needs.
To continue their tradition, SLU is reinstating their Army Reserve Officer Training Corps classes in the upcoming fall semester, which had been discontinued in 1995. The loss meant that Southeastern students interested in ROTC were forced to travel to Baton Rouge for the course. The return of classes offers another reason for SLU to be recognized.
Organizations in this story
Southeastern Louisiana University 500 Western Ave Hammond, LA - 70401
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success