Aniket Ingrole, an Florida State University Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering student, was recently named a winner in the Three Minute Thesis competition, which was held through the yearly Conference of Southern Graduate Schools.
The competition encourages students to use their complete thesis in a practical and real-life setting, therefore making their innovations understandable to individuals who have not attained an education in the area of the thesis.
Ingrole's thesis topic was the creation of improved, concussion-reducing helmets for football players, going by the title, "Bio-Inspired Structures for Custom Manufacturing of Safer Helmets."
Winning the award for his ability to explain the concepts, Ingrole told the audience that studying nature and the biology of animals who are used to head impacts, such as rams and woodpeckers, was the key to developing improved helmets. Through the technology of 3-D printing, Ingrole was able to visualize the animals' physiological makeup and apply it to humans taking part in high-impact sports, such as football.
“I feel proud to have represented FSU in a regional competition,” Ingrole said, “Getting an opportunity to explain your research and its importance to everyone is rare, especially at this level."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Florida State University ?
Next time we write about Florida State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million