The 2015 Tree Campus USA recognition is the third annual acknowledgement given to Berry College for its dedication to the beautification of and sustainability of campus forestry.
The accolade comes from the eagerness of students “to volunteer in their communities and become better stewards of the environment,” according to Matt Harris, chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation.
To receive the award, a college must meet five core standards. Berry College, for the last three years, has had an established tree advisory committee, provided evidence of a campus tree-care plan, dedicated annual expenditures for its campus tree program, held an Arbor Day observance, and sponsored student service-learning projects. This sets it as a true example of a school involved in maintaining a healthy environment.
The Tree Campus USA national program, sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation and Toyota, honors various campuses all over the world that choose to engage students and staff in the spirit of environmental conservation. They want to promote that a healthier environment leads to overall healthier living, and they aim to get students and staff alike involved in a way that spreads awareness.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Berry College ?
Next time we write about Berry College, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million