The Roche Visiting Artists Series at Mercyhurst University welcomed FleytMuzik to both the Walker Recital Hall and the D'Angelo Department of Music this month.
The six musicians, led by flutist Adrianne Greenbaum, held a performance followed by a master class for music students. Both events were free and open to the public.
The program, "Tarta, Baroque and Klezmer: Interwoven Fabrics of Jewish Itinerant Musicians, from Slovakia to Scotland and Beyond," took audiences through the odyssey of the klezmer, or Jewish itinerant musician, who adopted and stole tunes from gypsies and other musicians starting in the 16th century to make a living. Music presented included influences from Slovakia, Scotland, the Ottoman Empire, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Eastern Europe.
In its 27th session, the Visiting Artists Series was founded by
Abert Glinsky with the intention of introducing audiences to eclectic arrays of soloists and ensembles. Performances are sponsored by the Terry and Margaret Roche family, and master classes are provided by a grant from Erie's Temple Anshe Hesed.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Mercyhurst University ?
Next time we write about Mercyhurst University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mindful Monday to be Held November 19
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Lacy School of Business Named Outstanding On-Campus MBA Program by Princeton Review
- BERRY COLLEGE: Berry Professor to Showcase Film at the Rome International Film Festival
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Vardi named fellow of the American Mathematical Society
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS: Honors College Recognizes Exceptional Faculty, Staff
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Annual Evening of Experimental Dance to be Held Nov. 10
- Pikes Peak Community College enrolls 13,275 undergrads
- 54 percent of applicants to Florida International University were admitted for fall 2017
- Front Range Community College enrolls 19,259 undergrads
- 59 percent of applicants to University of North Florida were admitted for fall 2017