Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design will host debates on the issues raised regarding freedom of expression and interference on college campuses that were sparked by an event in India last month.
The Delhi Police stormed Jawaharlal Nehru University, which is one of the largest and most prestigious universities in India.
The pretext of the raid was that students were allegedly speaking "anti-national slogans" during a campus event related to Kashmir. The event culminated in the arrest of the elected president of the student union, Kanhaiya Kumar, on the charge of sedition. That has prompted polarized and explosive debates on dissent, nationalism, democracy and state violence across India, especially in relation to the college and campus.
With many raising the issue that the university is a place for critical thought and political action, the question is where the line is drawn between freedom of expression and dissent or hateful speech. Many are asking when intervention of the state with violence – both direct and indirect – is justified.
This and many other questions, such as how this news resonates with those struggling in Chile, South Africa, Turkey and even the United States, are among topics slated for the teach-in.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Watson Institute International & Public Affairs Brown University ?
Next time we write about Watson Institute International & Public Affairs Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college went up for all students at American University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Colegio Tecnico de Electricidad Galloza
- Graduates earn 2,331 degrees, certificates from University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras
- Graduates earn 733 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Aguadilla
- Graduates earn 72 degrees, certificates from Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music
- Graduates earn 8,564 degrees, certificates from The University of Alabama
- Cost of college went up for all students at Liceo de Arte-Dise-O y Comercio
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Automeca Technical College-Bayamon
- Graduates earn 205 degrees, certificates from Career Technical Institute
- Graduates earn 141 degrees from American University of Puerto Rico