Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design will host debates on the issues raised regarding freedom of expression and interference on college campuses that were sparked by an event in India last month.
The Delhi Police stormed Jawaharlal Nehru University, which is one of the largest and most prestigious universities in India.
The pretext of the raid was that students were allegedly speaking "anti-national slogans" during a campus event related to Kashmir. The event culminated in the arrest of the elected president of the student union, Kanhaiya Kumar, on the charge of sedition. That has prompted polarized and explosive debates on dissent, nationalism, democracy and state violence across India, especially in relation to the college and campus.
With many raising the issue that the university is a place for critical thought and political action, the question is where the line is drawn between freedom of expression and dissent or hateful speech. Many are asking when intervention of the state with violence – both direct and indirect – is justified.
This and many other questions, such as how this news resonates with those struggling in Chile, South Africa, Turkey and even the United States, are among topics slated for the teach-in.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Watson Institute International & Public Affairs Brown University ?
Next time we write about Watson Institute International & Public Affairs Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.