Cyrus Sutherland, an architect and professor for 32 years at the University of Arkansas' Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, was recently honored with an online exhibit entitled, "Cyrus Sutherland: Architect, Education and Preservationist: Selections from the Cyrus Sutherland Papers."
The exhibit included documents from his professional practice, teaching and preservation projects. Sutherland worked to preserve 40 historically important buildings in Arkansas, including the old post office and Carnall Hall in Fayetteville.
Researchers who have examined Sutherland's architectural notes appreciate his deep understanding of the state's vernacular architecture. He was one of the founders of the state's preservation alliance, Preserve Arkansas.
His projects also include a three-part film series about the history of Arkansas' architecture.
Individuals interested in viewing his exhibit can visit online or call the Arkansas Architectural Archives at 479-575-8444.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mindful Monday to be Held November 19
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Lacy School of Business Named Outstanding On-Campus MBA Program by Princeton Review
- BERRY COLLEGE: Berry Professor to Showcase Film at the Rome International Film Festival
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Vardi named fellow of the American Mathematical Society
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS: Honors College Recognizes Exceptional Faculty, Staff
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Annual Evening of Experimental Dance to be Held Nov. 10
- Pikes Peak Community College enrolls 13,275 undergrads
- 54 percent of applicants to Florida International University were admitted for fall 2017
- Front Range Community College enrolls 19,259 undergrads
- 59 percent of applicants to University of North Florida were admitted for fall 2017