Cyrus Sutherland, an architect and professor for 32 years at the University of Arkansas' Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, was recently honored with an online exhibit entitled, "Cyrus Sutherland: Architect, Education and Preservationist: Selections from the Cyrus Sutherland Papers."
The exhibit included documents from his professional practice, teaching and preservation projects. Sutherland worked to preserve 40 historically important buildings in Arkansas, including the old post office and Carnall Hall in Fayetteville.
Researchers who have examined Sutherland's architectural notes appreciate his deep understanding of the state's vernacular architecture. He was one of the founders of the state's preservation alliance, Preserve Arkansas.
His projects also include a three-part film series about the history of Arkansas' architecture.
Individuals interested in viewing his exhibit can visit online or call the Arkansas Architectural Archives at 479-575-8444.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million