As a tribute to late Bulldog basketball standout Andrew Smith, who lost a brave two-year battle with cancer, Butler University has partnered with Be The Match, the operator of the national bone marrow registry, to obtain at least 18,920 new donors.
Smith was a member of Butler's two-time NCAA Final Four team. He died
in January at the age of 25.
With a ratio of 1:430 of registrants to matches, this additional number will help match 44 additional candidates with donors, in honor of Smith's jersey No. 44.
As part of the partnership, Blue III, Butler's live bulldog mascot, has been named the national ambassador for Be The Match. Butler University Athletics Director Barry Collier said Smith was special because he genuinely cared for others and was proud to be able to raise awareness for his disease.
Mary Halet, director of donor services at Be The Match, said that every three minutes, someone receives a diagnosis of a life-threatening blood disease, such as leukemia, lymphoma or sickle cell. "In 70 percent of cases, no family member is a donor match," she said.
Often, bone marrow transplants are the only cure.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Butler University ?
Next time we write about Butler University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30