The psychology department at Adams State University, including staff and students, has joined in a historic project to reproduce previous studies for validation by rendering the same or different results.
The international collaboration, called Reproducibility Project Psychology, is intended to explore results that have been published as "profound discoveries."
“Results only have validity if they can be replicated,” Kim Kelso, chair of the psychology department, said. “That’s what we tell students, but we don’t walk the talk.”
Reproducibility means the results recur when the same data are analyzed again or when new data are collected using the same methods. Open Science Framework launched the project to initiate replication of 100 studies published in prominent psychology journals to find that fewer than half of them produced the same findings as the original studies.
Two projects were worked on at Adams State. "Detecting the Snake in the Grass: Attention to Fear-Relevant Stimuli by Adults and Young Children" was headed up by R. Nate Pipitone, assistant professor of psychology and Dr. Leslie Alvarez. They produced similar results to the initial study.
"The Space Between Us: Stereotype, Threat and Distance in Interracial Contexts," led by Kelso, produced reasonably similar results but also showed a need for better descriptions of methodology, as there were discrepancies.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Adams State University ?
Next time we write about Adams State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY: Grand Valley State and Grand Rapids collaborate on affordable housing project
- NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY: Nova Southeastern University Names New Dean of Abraham S. Fischler College of Education
- NORTH FLORIDA COMMUNITY COLLEGE: NFCC offering new Engineering Technology degree and certificates
- Cost of college went up for all students at Brown University
- Graduates earn 2,293 degrees, certificates from Universidad del Este
- Graduates earn 330 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Fajardo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Teologica del Caribe
- Graduates earn 543 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Humacao
- Cost of college went up for all students at Trinity College of Puerto Rico
- Graduates earn 4,802 degrees, certificates from Lamar University