Tulane University School of Medicine Professor of Urology and Chief of Andrology Dr. Wayne Hellstrom served on a panel that provided guidance on the use of testosterone therapy and its potential risks.
Hellstrom joined other men’s health experts in developing new guidance for physicians in Mayo Clinic Proceedings. According to Hellstrom, there is a lot of confusion among patients and doctors alike due to several studies that seem to contradict other. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that manufacturers have a warning that indicates that testosterone can increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke.
“Testosterone replacement therapy in patients who have documented hypogonadism is safe and beneficial, provided they are treated and followed appropriately by a physician,” Hellstrom said.
Testosterone treatments are prescribed for men who have lower testosterone production due to an injury or adult onset hypogonadism, a condition that limits the amount of testosterone produced by the body. It is not recommended for testosterone loss due to advanced aging. The panel indicates that older men with low testosterone are at greater risks of other conditions that can increase chances of cardiovascular diseases and events.
This panel also concluded that patients on testosterone therapy should be monitored regularly by their doctor.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Tulane University ?
Next time we write about Tulane University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.