Tulane University School of Medicine Professor of Urology and Chief of Andrology Dr. Wayne Hellstrom served on a panel that provided guidance on the use of testosterone therapy and its potential risks.
Hellstrom joined other men’s health experts in developing new guidance for physicians in Mayo Clinic Proceedings. According to Hellstrom, there is a lot of confusion among patients and doctors alike due to several studies that seem to contradict other. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that manufacturers have a warning that indicates that testosterone can increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke.
“Testosterone replacement therapy in patients who have documented hypogonadism is safe and beneficial, provided they are treated and followed appropriately by a physician,” Hellstrom said.
Testosterone treatments are prescribed for men who have lower testosterone production due to an injury or adult onset hypogonadism, a condition that limits the amount of testosterone produced by the body. It is not recommended for testosterone loss due to advanced aging. The panel indicates that older men with low testosterone are at greater risks of other conditions that can increase chances of cardiovascular diseases and events.
This panel also concluded that patients on testosterone therapy should be monitored regularly by their doctor.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Tulane University ?
Next time we write about Tulane University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director