Brown University announced 20 scholarship awards for high school graduates in Providence this week.
These awards were granted through the Fund for the Education of the Children of Providence. There was an award ceremony held at Brown University President Christina Paxson’s home. Paxson, along with Providence Schools
Chris Maher, Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza and the executive director of partnership and engagement for Providence Schools Doris De Lo Santos spoke at the event.
“I am really overjoyed that Brown University in a small way is able to help you realize your dreams of going to college,” Paxson said. “This is what we do — promote education in the service of society.”
Representing five schools in the city, each student was awarded $2,500. During the event, 2015 scholarship recipient and Brown University student Elyssa Perez also spoke about the transition to college and what challenges will come.
“Within your growth process will come challenges,” Perez said. “As you know, it isn’t easy to balance academics, activities, a social life, even sleep. On top of that, you’ll be entering new environments and learning how to adapt to them. In your moments of doubt, I hope you find motivation to keep working toward your goals and remember that there are people who see a lot of great potential in you.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Group launches national campaign seeking justice for victims of predatory Ohio State doctor
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Brown urges Supreme Court to uphold DACA to benefit students, universities, nation
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: KAGRA to Join LIGO and Virgo in Hunt for Gravitational Waves
- BERRY COLLEGE: Lumen Lecture with Jennifer Frey to be Held October 10
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Faculty Research Symposium highlights innovative projects, from neuroscience to rural housing design to additive manufacturing
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Gift of $7 Million Will Support New Athletics Facility and Center for Israel Studies Fellowship
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: President Welcomes Everyone for the 2019-2020 Academic Year
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma Art Prize Gets Student Artists Moving
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: How Context Affects Scene Processing to be Held September 25
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: WoW Wednesdays: Visual Communication for Research (3MT) to be Held September 18