Researchers from Gannon and Mercyhurst universities recently gained funding to continue their research into invasive, toxic algae found in Lake Erie, which has gained significant local concern.
The Pennsylvania Sea Grant, which lasts for two years, will allow the scientists to test Lake Erie Presque Isle Bay for the toxic algae, called harmful algal blooms. This algae has harmed the natural ecosystem of the lake.
“We want to better understand what causes these particular toxic species to become abundant,” J. Michael Campbell, a
biology professor, said. “It’s not a simple process. To figure out what exactly is going on with Lake Erie and the bay, you have to look at the entire ecosystem because it’s very complex.”
When water temperature rises during the late summer, there are more nutrients available to growing algae. Freshwater zooplankton typically don’t eat these algae.
“We can only do our part to do the good science, to learn more about these algal blooms, and see if we can in fact change it,” Campbell said. “If nothing else, perhaps we can demonstrate the importance of increasing temperature through our findings to help motivate people to address climate change — it really does affect us right here at home.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Mercyhurst University ?
Next time we write about Mercyhurst University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 543 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Humacao
- Cost of college went up for all students at Trinity College of Puerto Rico
- Graduates earn 4,802 degrees, certificates from Lamar University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Escuela de Artes Plasticas y Diseno de Puerto Rico
- Graduates earn 142 degrees, certificates from Columbia Central University-Yauco
- Graduates earn 192 degrees from Instituto Tecnologico de Puerto Rico-Recinto de Guayama
- Cost of college went up for all students at Advantage Technical College
- Cost of college went up for all students at Caribbean University-Vega Baja
- Cost of college went up for all students at American University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Colegio Tecnico de Electricidad Galloza