Michael Victor, the president of Mercyhurst University, will host a discussion at the Jefferson Educational Society to address the various challenges that face higher education, such as debt and demographics.
There are several topics that people are concerned with when it comes to college. Many people have started to ask whether college will help graduates to find jobs, or whether there is something else that students can gain while they attend college. Higher education leaders are also concerned that science, technology, engineer, and math are overwhelming liberal arts. Another subject is whether college could ever be “free.”
Other concerns for higher education include student loan debt, high school graduation rates declining, affordability of college, downturn in government funding, requirements from accreditation overseers, competition among for-profit colleges, and popularity rising for online education.
During his discussion, Victor will also focus on the challenges that are unique to private colleges, especially liberal arts colleges.
“One thing I’ve stressed as part of my presidency at Mercyhurst is that higher education leaders can no longer follow a path of misguided optimism, of one’s gut or intuition,” Victor said. “The days of informal structures and casual leadership are gone. Ours must be a thoughtful, strategic business model rooted in preparedness, research-based problem solving, analysis and best practice.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Mercyhurst University ?
Next time we write about Mercyhurst University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mindful Monday to be Held November 19
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Lacy School of Business Named Outstanding On-Campus MBA Program by Princeton Review
- BERRY COLLEGE: Berry Professor to Showcase Film at the Rome International Film Festival
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Vardi named fellow of the American Mathematical Society
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS: Honors College Recognizes Exceptional Faculty, Staff
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Annual Evening of Experimental Dance to be Held Nov. 10
- Pikes Peak Community College enrolls 13,275 undergrads
- 54 percent of applicants to Florida International University were admitted for fall 2017
- Front Range Community College enrolls 19,259 undergrads
- 59 percent of applicants to University of North Florida were admitted for fall 2017