Michael Victor, the president of Mercyhurst University, will host a discussion at the Jefferson Educational Society to address the various challenges that face higher education, such as debt and demographics.
There are several topics that people are concerned with when it comes to college. Many people have started to ask whether college will help graduates to find jobs, or whether there is something else that students can gain while they attend college. Higher education leaders are also concerned that science, technology, engineer, and math are overwhelming liberal arts. Another subject is whether college could ever be “free.”
Other concerns for higher education include student loan debt, high school graduation rates declining, affordability of college, downturn in government funding, requirements from accreditation overseers, competition among for-profit colleges, and popularity rising for online education.
During his discussion, Victor will also focus on the challenges that are unique to private colleges, especially liberal arts colleges.
“One thing I’ve stressed as part of my presidency at Mercyhurst is that higher education leaders can no longer follow a path of misguided optimism, of one’s gut or intuition,” Victor said. “The days of informal structures and casual leadership are gone. Ours must be a thoughtful, strategic business model rooted in preparedness, research-based problem solving, analysis and best practice.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Mercyhurst University ?
Next time we write about Mercyhurst University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million