Iowa State University (ISU) students involved with Team PrISUm recently experienced more delays with their solar car, as they needed to complete roadside electrical repair throughout the second day of the American Solar Challenge.
The solar racing car quickly stopped when it was driving up a hill in Indiana and would not move at all.
“An electrical relay was clicking and the next thing we knew the car was fully dead,” Matt Goode, the team’s project director and a senior from Coggon who’s studying materials science and engineering, said.
The American Solar Challenge lasts a total of eight days and covers 1,800 miles. For the challenge, the students design and build their own solar cars.
To repair the car, the students tried to use their soldering equipment, but that didn’t work. Eventually, they rolled the car downhill. While parked at a fire station in Aurora, Indiana, the team spent two hours fixing the power board on the car.
After that, the trailer the team uses to carry supplies and store the car overnight also stopped working. The axle bearings were out on one side. Eventually, this problem was resolved with help from another team at the University of Michigan.
With the repairs complete, the team raced up the hill and finished the day.
“We were cruising at 60 mph, the speed limit on most of the roads,” Goode said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Iowa State University ?
Next time we write about Iowa State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.