Mark Romig was named the 2016 University of New Orleans Homer Hitt Distinguished Alumni honoree, meaning he has received the highest honor from the university.
The UNO International Alumni Association will give Romig this honor while at the Distinguished Alumni Gala. It will be hosted at the National WWII Museum’s United States Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center on Nov. 3.
“I credit my alma mater for helping shape the person I have become,” Romig said. “I have always believed that service to my community is of utmost importance and our responsibility as citizens, and I learned that by watching the example the University of New Orleans has exhibited through the years.”
Romig received his bachelor’s degree in hotel, restaurant and tourism administration while he was at UNO in 1978.
“Mark Romig epitomizes what a metropolitan public university is all about with his deep sense of responsibility to building a vibrant community,” Barbara Johnson, chair of the Distinguished Alumni Gala, said. “As a major industry player, positioning New Orleans as a world-class destination and economic driver, to his civic leadership in education, entrepreneurship and neighborhoods, Mark has distinguished himself as a selfless champion of striving for the very best we can be together as community.”
Organizations in this story
University of New Orleans 2000 Lakeshore Dr New Orleans, LA - 70148
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success