The William Kenan Charitable Trust has donated $71,000 to Transylvania University for the Pioneer Pathway Program.
was created to help young African-American males succeed in preparation and the
completion of college.
"Transylvania views education as the gateway to a life
of increasing freedom to choose one’s own life path,”
Seamus Carey said. “We recognize that many people in society have
different starting points towards this path. In particular, young men of color
often face significant obstacles that must be addressed and overcome in order
for them to take advantage of the educational path."
The grant, which is part of Kenan Trust’s $3 million in
grants for black males in Kentucky, will fund Transylvania’s College
Empowerment Program and other activities.
"We chose to partner with organizations and leaders
throughout the state of Kentucky that were committed to systems-level change
for males of color with an emphasis on African-American men and boys," Kenan
Trust Assistant Executive Director Dorian Burton said. "The group of
leaders we have funded will work to connect the dots within their communities
and neighborhoods and partner with other innovative organizations committed to
uplifting and building strong families within their communities."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Transylvania University ?
Next time we write about Transylvania University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA: USD Alumna Uses Personal Experience to Spread Message of Financial Literacy
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University’s Emerson Scholars Receive Recognition
- BERRY COLLEGE: Coyote Lecture April 23 at Oak Hill
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Randi Thomas and Diane Delisio receive Miami University's Distinguished Service Award
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Spring Dance Happening Runs April 25-27
- Analysis: College athletics grossed $31,832 per athlete in 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS: New law updates language related to dementia
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA’s Urban Forest Earns ‘Tree Campus USA’ Times Three
- TULANE UNIVERSITY: Speaker to explore use of biology in creation of technology