Mercyhurst unveiled its new cafeteria in time for the incoming freshmen's first dinner.
Four hours before the renovated cafeteria opened, architect
Shelane Buehler was carrying chairs into the room. Final preparations were
being completed as the countdown ticked down to opening time.
“We’ll be ready,” Buehler said. “Just a few finishing
touches, that’s all that’s left.”
The $3 million Grotto Commons dining hall renovation is the
first large capital project under President Michael Victor. The renovation
began the day after graduation, on May 23 and was completed on launch day.
Mercyhurst funded the project with capital funds and $2 million contributed by
Parkhurst Dining, the university's food service partner.
“We are enormously grateful to Parkhurst for working with us
to heighten the dining experience for our college community, particularly our
students,” Victor said. “This is a perfect example of the power of cultivating
relationships. Our beautiful campus has always had that certain WOW factor, and
now our dining hall will, too.”
The incoming freshmen were greeted with a modernized
cafeteria, including accessible food stations, flex seating and group gathering
sites. The renovation included new furnishings and new food service equipment.
Parkhurst has remained at the forefront of the college
dining experience. The eclectic food choice and modern methods of food safety
and waste reduction reflect Mercyhurst's and Parkhurst's dedication to
innovation in cafeteria operations.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Mercyhurst University ?
Next time we write about Mercyhurst University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Jackson College enrolls 4,798 undergrads
- Kellogg Community College enrolls 4,814 undergrads
- Washtenaw Community College enrolls 12,335 undergrads
- Mott Community College enrolls 7,689 undergrads
- Wayne County Community College District enrolls 14,806 undergrads
- Cost of college went up for all students at National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts
- 64 percent of applicants to University of Michigan-Dearborn were admitted for fall 2017
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Baker College enrolls 11,603 undergrads
- St Clair County Community College enrolls 3,601 undergrads