Ondrej Honka, a senior pole vaulter from Rhode Island, recently met track and field legends in Rio de Janeiro at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Honka worked at the Olympics this summer, where he met
former triple jump world record holder
Banks jointed the USA Track & Field Hall of Fame in 1999. For a decade he had the world record for the triple jump, measuring at 17.97 meters. In the 1984 and 1988 Summer Olympics, Banks competed in five different world championship events. He placed sixth in triple jumps for both years.
Honka met the legend at a local metro station while he was waiting in line.
"We exchanged pins, chatted for a while and took a picture," Honka said. "It's incredible how small the world is. One has to keep their eyes open."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island Athletics ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island Athletics, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 2,376 degrees, certificates from University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Graduates earn 230 degrees, certificates from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Charlie's Guard-Detective Bureau and Academy Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Berry College
- Graduates earn 9,226 degrees, certificates from George Washington University
- Cost of college went down for all students at Atenas College
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Arkansas
- Graduates earn 125 degrees, certificates from ICPR Junior College-Mayaguez
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo