Three researchers from the University of New Orleans department of computer science recently received grants totaling more than $500,000 that they will use to investigate algae-based biofuel, better management of NASA’s intellectual property and increasing cybersecurity education.
"Algae are found to
have good potential for providing biofuel at a higher rate compared to any
other plants,” UNO Assistant Professor of Computer Science Tamjidul Hoque,
who will use his funding to develop software tools and theoretical knowledge to
make algae-based biofuel viablem, said. “Algae can be developed as an excellent
microbial cell factory that can harvest solar energy and convert atmospheric
carbon-dioxide to useful products and thus can establish the missing link in
Hoque’s project, a
collaboration between UNO, BHO Technology and the Louisiana Emerging Technology
Center, received $141,453 in funding from the Louisiana Board of Regents
Industrial Ties Research Subprogram, as well as a three-year institutional
match of $36,720.
Hoque will also work
with professor of computer science Shengru Tu on a project, funded by a $60,073
grant from the NASA Stennis Space Center, that will develop an automated tool
allowing users to more easily find information on NASA’s patents.
Assistant professor of computer science Irfan Ahmed will work in collaboration with the University of
Texas Dallas on a project to help students better understand cyberattacks
and the necessary measure for preventing them. The project is funded by a
$300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, and Ahmed is working on a
related project with a $96,000 grant from the U.S. Army Research Office.
“The outcome of this
project will contribute to the health, safety and economic well-being of our
society by helping to improve the state-of-the-art in cybersecurity education,
especially for performing hands-on technical cybersecurity exercises,” Ahmed said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30