Lamar University's JoAnne Gay Dishman Department of Nursing will be changing its title to the JoAnne Gay Dishman School of Nursing.
The change of titles is to better reflect the educational
opportunities that have been added or developed to elevate the department to “school”
“When you think of a department, you think one program, one
dimension. We’ve grown so much and we have so many programs now, both graduate
and undergraduate,” interim Chair Cynthia Stinson said.
The nursing program at Lamar began in the 1970s, with the university offering a two-year degree in nursing. Lamar now offers a bachelor’s in nursing and a master’s in nursing administration.
“The change in status from department to school is a
significant one,” Lamar Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs James
Marquart said. “It is a reflection of excellence, hard work and growth. It is
also aspirational – a step toward an even stronger future. We are proud of the
accomplishments of our nursing faculty and their support staff. It is also a
testament to the success of our alumni who are filling vital roles in health
care in our region, the state and beyond.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Lamar University ?
Next time we write about Lamar University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Business teams in training
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Resume Workshop to be Held February 20
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Cru Weekly Meeting to be Held February 14
- ADITALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Latin-American Dance Inspires Alma Symphony Orchestra
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Master Artist Workshop With Sue Primeau at the Appleton Museum of Art
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: CCCC receives grant from Sunderland Foundation
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Zuzu African Acrobats next Cook Series performers
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Breaking alcohol’s death grip
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Cameron University online MBA program recognized by US News & World Report
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY: Macedonia in Synopsis