Colorado School of Mines chemistry graduate Jessica Noffsinger received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching in Washington, D.C. Thursday.
“Mines helped prepare me to be a STEM teacher in so many
ways,” Noffsinger said. “I was ecstatic to be recognized for doing what I truly
love. Being a science teacher is my passion, so it felt amazing to receive this
Noffsinger was one of the 213 award recipients named by
President Barack Obama. Four K-12 teachers were selected from Colorado. The winning
teachers were selected at the state level by a panel of educators,
mathematicians and scientists. Each winner received $10,000 from the National
earned a BS in chemistry and a minor in math at Mines and went on to earn a Masters in educational leadership from the University of Denver. She intended to teach chemistry at the college level,
but changed her mind after volunteering with her church's youth group.
Noffsinger has taught eighth-grade science and engineering at the
STEM Magnet Lab School in Northglenn, Colorado, Her first group of students from the charter school are graduating from high school in May, and several hope to attend
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Colorado School of Mines ?
Next time we write about Colorado School of Mines, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 585,402 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans
- 61% of students graduated on time at Illinois’ top two-year school in 2016
- Analysis: College women's basketball grosses $903 million
- March Madness money: How do women's teams in the tournament rank?
- Beauty schools report highest default rates on student loans
- Analysis: College men's basketball grosses $2 billion
- March Madness money: How do tournament teams rank?
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Axelrod, Rove to host Presidential Elections Program conference at Rice U.’s Baker Institute March 28
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Artwork by Cameron University Student Kathryn Carroll to be Exhibited in CU Sciences Complex
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mines joins growing network for entrepreneurial engineering