Berry College Chapel is celebrating its 100th anniversary on Sept.18 at 5 p.m. with its new carillon, which the Berry College Class of 1988 and the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution funded.
The new digital carillon, a musical instrument, implements sophisticated technology to create the sound of bronze bells. The technology allows for warm, authentic tones that a professional carilloneur recorded. There are 10,000 chimes, peals, popular hymns, tolls, spiritual melodies and patriotic songs on the carillon, which has a 61-note keyboard.
The celebration service will also include performances from musicians and choirs at the college.
Harry Carlson of Boston, who was an architect and is best known for designing the Ford Buildings, made the chapel in 1915. Students built the structure, which was dedicated on March 5, 1916 and has grown from holding Sunday chapel services to becoming the center of life on the campus.
For the celebration, Rev. Fleming Rutledge will give the sermon. She has spoken at many famous chapels, including the Duke University Chapel, the Washington National Cathedral, the Harvard Memorial Chapel, and Trinit Church in Boston. First ordained in 1977, she was among the first women that the Episcopal Church allowed into the priesthood.
In addition to these celebrations, the yearly Possum Trot Homecoming Services will be held at Possum Trot Chapel on Sept. 18 at 11 a.m.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Berry College ?
Next time we write about Berry College, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.