Berry College Chapel is celebrating its 100th anniversary on Sept.18 at 5 p.m. with its new carillon, which the Berry College Class of 1988 and the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution funded.
The new digital carillon, a musical instrument, implements sophisticated technology to create the sound of bronze bells. The technology allows for warm, authentic tones that a professional carilloneur recorded. There are 10,000 chimes, peals, popular hymns, tolls, spiritual melodies and patriotic songs on the carillon, which has a 61-note keyboard.
The celebration service will also include performances from musicians and choirs at the college.
Harry Carlson of Boston, who was an architect and is best known for designing the Ford Buildings, made the chapel in 1915. Students built the structure, which was dedicated on March 5, 1916 and has grown from holding Sunday chapel services to becoming the center of life on the campus.
For the celebration, Rev. Fleming Rutledge will give the sermon. She has spoken at many famous chapels, including the Duke University Chapel, the Washington National Cathedral, the Harvard Memorial Chapel, and Trinit Church in Boston. First ordained in 1977, she was among the first women that the Episcopal Church allowed into the priesthood.
In addition to these celebrations, the yearly Possum Trot Homecoming Services will be held at Possum Trot Chapel on Sept. 18 at 11 a.m.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Berry College ?
Next time we write about Berry College, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director