University of Arkansas geoscientist John C. Dixon recently co-edited a book, "Source-to-Sink Fluxes in Undisturbed Cold Environments," that captures the diversity of cold regions and how they are being affected by climate change.
“We identify the main
factors accounting for differences in the amounts of solid and dissolved
materials transported across cold climate landscapes,”
Dixon said. “We also explain why there are variations in the
amounts of solid and dissolved materials transported in different cold
climate landscapes. This research has particular implications for water quality
and nutrient availability in these ecologically sensitive environments.”
The book features
contributions from 44 scientists based around the world and details the variables
that make cold landscapes so diverse. Information in the book includes 12 years
of observations from 36 test sites. Covering arctic, Antarctic and alpine
environments, the book details how researchers are working to understand the
ways these environments will likely change due to climate change.
“We are seeing a
window to what will happen less intensely at lower latitudes,” said Dixon, who
teaches in the Department of Geosciences and the J. William Fulbright College
of Arts and Sciences.
Dixon’s co-editors on
the book are Achim Beylich, from Norway, and
Zbigniew Zwolinski, from Poland.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million