Ben Crosby, an associate professor of English and speech communication at Iowa State University, recently stated that Hillary Clinton’s policies and deliberate approach may not be a traditional advantage of Donald Trump’s untraditional approach.
Crosby said Clinton has experience, is driven in her policies, is able to defend her positions, and practices a temperament that many would say is ideal for debates. However, this year’s presidential election has been anything but typical.
“Clinton has the policy advantage, but Trump has the reality show advantage,” Crosby said. “Trump is a wild card and American politics are a wild card because of the reality show quality, so in that sense Trump has the advantage. It’s going to be interesting to see these two paradigms clash.”
Because of this “wild card” factor, Crosby believes that Clinton had even more pressure to be successful during the first debate. Audiences wantedto see her make pointed stands.
Crosby also believes that Trump needed to adhere to typical rules for political debates, which puts another unique pressure on him.
“No one expects him to be Cicero,” Crosby said. “For political debates, as long as your opponent doesn’t land any mortal blows, you’re fine. You don’t have to win so much as you just need to avoid losing.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Iowa State University ?
Next time we write about Iowa State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 2,376 degrees, certificates from University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Graduates earn 230 degrees, certificates from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Charlie's Guard-Detective Bureau and Academy Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Berry College
- Graduates earn 9,226 degrees, certificates from George Washington University
- Cost of college went down for all students at Atenas College
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Arkansas
- Graduates earn 125 degrees, certificates from ICPR Junior College-Mayaguez
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo