The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan recently made a formal commendation of BYU Professor of Asian and Near Eastern Languages Van Gessel for his 35-year career in studying and teaching the literature and culture of Japan.
Gessel began his career as a missionary. He spent two years in Japan, where he struggled to learn about its customs, culture, values and beliefs.
“My misunderstandings began in 1970, the first time I went to Japan, as a 19-year-old missionary for the [Latter-day Saints] Church,” Gessel said. “During the two years there, I struggled to learn the Japanese language and the Japanese people kindly struggled to understand what I was trying to say in their language.”
With this commendation, Gessel becomes one of just a few non-Japanese citizens to gain a commendation from Japan’s foreign minister. It emphasizes the professor’s efforts to establish bridges between the cultures and nations discussed in the College of Humanities.
“In his career, Dr. Gessel has made outstanding contributions to mutual understanding and goodwill between Japan and other nations,” Consul-General Makoto Ito said. “He is an accomplished and respected authority on Japanese literature and culture, and especially noted for his translation and research on Mr. Shusaku Endo’s work, which has led to enhanced cultural exchanges between Japan and the United States.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brigham Young University ?
Next time we write about Brigham Young University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Dewey University-Fajardo
- Graduates earn 453 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Barranquitas
- Cost of college went up for all students at Strayer University-Global Region
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Bennett Career Institute
- Graduates earn 853 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-San German
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de san Sebastian
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Bayamon Community College
- Graduates earn 284 degrees, certificates from Colegio de Cinematografa Artes y Television
- Graduates earn 542 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Carolina