Texas A&M University recently held a video game design competition called “Chillennium” that was won by University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) juniors David McCullough and Brandon Blakemore.
The competition saw entries by students from 11 different
universities, all of whom had only 48 hours to create a game centered around
the word “foofaraw,” which means “a great fuss or disturbance about something
McCullough and Blakemore spent hours brainstorming their
“We were trying to focus on the minor thing but making a big
deal about it,” Blakemore said.
The game that McCullough and Blakemore -- also known as team “Bee Chill” -- ended up designing is called “Don’t Rock the Boat” and consists of a waiter on a cruise ship serving drinks to guests while the ship encounters rough waters.
“From the beginning, it’s really just getting stuff moving
on the screen, getting the core mechanic in so that we could build off that,” McCullough said. “And then from there it’s like, ‘OK, well now we need a win-state
or a lose-state.’ Then once we had that, it’s like, ‘OK, now we need a menu and
The game can be downloaded on Bee Chill’s website.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director