Texas A&M University recently held a video game design competition called “Chillennium” that was won by University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) juniors David McCullough and Brandon Blakemore.
The competition saw entries by students from 11 different
universities, all of whom had only 48 hours to create a game centered around
the word “foofaraw,” which means “a great fuss or disturbance about something
McCullough and Blakemore spent hours brainstorming their
“We were trying to focus on the minor thing but making a big
deal about it,” Blakemore said.
The game that McCullough and Blakemore -- also known as team “Bee Chill” -- ended up designing is called “Don’t Rock the Boat” and consists of a waiter on a cruise ship serving drinks to guests while the ship encounters rough waters.
“From the beginning, it’s really just getting stuff moving
on the screen, getting the core mechanic in so that we could build off that,” McCullough said. “And then from there it’s like, ‘OK, well now we need a win-state
or a lose-state.’ Then once we had that, it’s like, ‘OK, now we need a menu and
The game can be downloaded on Bee Chill’s website.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.