Dr. Leona Sevick, Bridgewater College provost and vice president of academic affairs, recently became the recipient of the 2017 Press 53 Award for Poetry.
Sevick won the award for her book of poetry called Lion Brothers after it was selected as
the winner from 315 entries across the nation. The award was presented
by Tom Lombardo, editor of the Press 53 poetry series. Lion Brothers is set to be published as A Tome Lombardo Poetry
Selection by Press 53 on the first of April.
“The poems in Lion
Brothers excited me with their high levels of emotion delivered in a
clear and compelling voice,” one judge said. “Using distinct diction and
figuration in a pleasing flow, the poet presents stories freshly, with
surprises, while maintaining strong connections between readers and the world.
This collection holds together nicely with its overarching narrative of the
dark corners of domestic life.”
Sevick has had her poetry published in The Journal, Barrow Street, Potomac Review, North American Review, The
Florida Review, Poet Lore -- as well as All
We Can Hold: Poems of Motherhood and in
Circe’s Lament: Anthology of Wild Women Poetry, both anthologies.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Bridgewater College ?
Next time we write about Bridgewater College, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 81 percent of applicants to University of Hartford were admitted for fall 2017
- Estrella Mountain Community College enrolls 9,788 undergrads
- Mesa Community College enrolls 20,424 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Alabama State University were admitted for fall 2017
- 80 percent of applicants to Arizona State University-West were admitted for fall 2017
- Rio Salado College enrolls 17,635 undergrads
- Argosy University-Phoenix Online Division enrolls 4,534 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Eastern Oregon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 84 percent of applicants to Auburn University were admitted for fall 2017
- 67 percent of applicants to Grand Canyon University were admitted for fall 2017