University of Rhode Island (URI) Professor Kunal Mankodiya, director of the university’s Wearable Biosensing Laboratory, is leading research into how medical technology integrated into gloves, socks, clothing and shoes can generate crucial patient information for doctors without patients even leaving the house.
“Patients with Parkinson’s face many
mobility issues — driving and even walking long distances,’’ Mankodiya said. “The
glove will give patients the option of receiving health care while remaining at
home, and it also reduces the risk of falls and other accidents.’’
The lab is working on smart textiles, like
a wristband that tracks tremors in patients with Parkinson’s disease, or gloves
that track both tremors and rigidity in the finders and thumbs. These tools
will allow doctors to better treat the symptoms while making it easier for
them to access that information.
Additionally, researchers in the lab are
working on a smartwatch app that would track data on patients with autism.
“I hope the watch will help these patients
learn about themselves and make it easier for the parents and caregivers to
know what’s going on,’’ Nick Peltier, a senior studying computer science, said. “Let’s
say a response is triggered every Tuesday, at the same time, on the patient’s
smartwatch. The next step would be to determine what’s happening during that
time on that day so the person can make adjustments.’’
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.