Two University of Arkansas (UA) honors students, Danielle Neighbour and Jacob Smith, were selected from among more than 1,500 undergraduate students as finalists for the Rhodes Scholarship, an honor that will ultimately go to 32 students.
"The competition is intense," University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz said. "Having two
finalists selected is a real testament to their extraordinary accomplishments
and to the tireless mentoring they receive from faculty. Both Danielle and Jake
have taken full advantage of the exceptional opportunities we have to offer on
this campus, including study abroad and undergraduate research. We wish them
the best in these competitions, but more importantly, in what will certainly be
distinguished professional careers."
Neighbour and Smith will interview for the
scholarship in Chicago on Nov. 19; if selected, they will spend two years at
Oxford University, with a potential third-year renewal.
Neighbour is studying civil engineering with
a focus on expanding access to clean water. She has been selected as a 2016
Truman Scholar and is also a finalist for the Schwarzman Scholarship, which
funds one year of study at Beijing’s Tsinghua University.
Smith is a pre-med honors kinesiology major
whose passion was inspired by his own personal experience with injury, which
diverted his dreams to pitch for the university’s baseball team.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 421 degrees, certificates from Universal Technology College of Puerto Rico
- Cost of college went up for all students at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Cost of college went down for all students at American Technical Institute
- Graduates earn 1,503 degrees, certificates from Bradley University
- Analysis: Colleges spend $2.1 billion on men's athletic student aid
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Utuado
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Atlantic University College
- Graduates earn 215 degrees, certificates from Caribbean University-Bayamon
- Graduates earn 4,837 degrees, certificates from Loyola University Chicago
- Graduates earn 4,555 degrees, certificates from Boise State University