Two University of Arkansas (UA) honors students, Danielle Neighbour and Jacob Smith, were selected from among more than 1,500 undergraduate students as finalists for the Rhodes Scholarship, an honor that will ultimately go to 32 students.
"The competition is intense," University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz said. "Having two
finalists selected is a real testament to their extraordinary accomplishments
and to the tireless mentoring they receive from faculty. Both Danielle and Jake
have taken full advantage of the exceptional opportunities we have to offer on
this campus, including study abroad and undergraduate research. We wish them
the best in these competitions, but more importantly, in what will certainly be
distinguished professional careers."
Neighbour and Smith will interview for the
scholarship in Chicago on Nov. 19; if selected, they will spend two years at
Oxford University, with a potential third-year renewal.
Neighbour is studying civil engineering with
a focus on expanding access to clean water. She has been selected as a 2016
Truman Scholar and is also a finalist for the Schwarzman Scholarship, which
funds one year of study at Beijing’s Tsinghua University.
Smith is a pre-med honors kinesiology major
whose passion was inspired by his own personal experience with injury, which
diverted his dreams to pitch for the university’s baseball team.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.