The University of Arkansas (U of A) has announced a new record for student-athlete graduation success rate (GSR).
The 2016 GSR was 78
percent, two percentage points higher than the previous record set in 2014 and
GSR tracks student-athletes' academic progress over four
years and provides a snapshot of a program's academic success. Since its
implementation in 2004, the GDR at U of A has risen from 60 percent to the
record-high 78 percent.
"Nothing we do within intercollegiate athletics is more
important than helping our student-athletes progress toward graduation," Vice
Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said. "The remarkable
progress of our student-athletes is not only evident in our record-breaking
GSR, but most importantly in the more than 100 young men and women who are
graduating from the University of Arkansas each year. I sincerely appreciate
the hard work of our coaches and our student-athlete support staff in equipping
student-athletes to succeed in their academic pursuits."
In addition to the record GSR, the student-athletes recorded
a cumulative 3.23 GPA. Forty football student-athletes made the fall academic honor
roll; and, in the past year alone, nearly 300 student-athletes reached the honor roll.
"Ultimately, though, it is the student-athletes
themselves who make the choice to do what it takes to earn their degree,"
Long said. "Each year, more student-athletes are making that commitment and
as a program we will continue to be here to assist them in reaching that
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation and Energy Transfer Partners Donate $5 Million to the University of Mary
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Clarke wins NSF CAREER grant for advanced steel research
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Retailing's Loss Was Biology's Gain
- CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY TEXAS: A seemingly perpetual student's view on grad school experience
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Team Chargernaut takes first place in NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: Parkway to Close April 27-28 for USA Triathlon
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Alumnus’ firm in forefront of private Wi-Fi, Internet in space