The University of Arkansas (U of A) has announced a new record for student-athlete graduation success rate (GSR).
The 2016 GSR was 78
percent, two percentage points higher than the previous record set in 2014 and
GSR tracks student-athletes' academic progress over four
years and provides a snapshot of a program's academic success. Since its
implementation in 2004, the GDR at U of A has risen from 60 percent to the
record-high 78 percent.
"Nothing we do within intercollegiate athletics is more
important than helping our student-athletes progress toward graduation," Vice
Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said. "The remarkable
progress of our student-athletes is not only evident in our record-breaking
GSR, but most importantly in the more than 100 young men and women who are
graduating from the University of Arkansas each year. I sincerely appreciate
the hard work of our coaches and our student-athlete support staff in equipping
student-athletes to succeed in their academic pursuits."
In addition to the record GSR, the student-athletes recorded
a cumulative 3.23 GPA. Forty football student-athletes made the fall academic honor
roll; and, in the past year alone, nearly 300 student-athletes reached the honor roll.
"Ultimately, though, it is the student-athletes
themselves who make the choice to do what it takes to earn their degree,"
Long said. "Each year, more student-athletes are making that commitment and
as a program we will continue to be here to assist them in reaching that
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30